Washing your hair is a daily routine that is crucial for maintaining the health and appearance of your hair. However, it is not just a matter of lathering and rinsing, there are several key steps to follow to ensure that your hair is being washed properly. In this blog, we will go over the proper way to wash your hair, and common ways people are doing it wrong. How To Wash Your Hair Properly – Ways You’re Doing It Wrong.
How To Wash Your Hair Properly
Steps to Properly Wash Your Hair:
- Wet your hair thoroughly. The first step to properly washing your hair is to make sure that it is completely wet. This helps to distribute the shampoo evenly throughout your hair. Make sure to wet your hair and scalp thoroughly, but avoid using hot water as this can strip your hair of its natural oils.
- Apply shampoo to your scalp. When applying shampoo, make sure to focus on your scalp rather than your hair. This is because the scalp is where most of the dirt and oils accumulate, and that is what the shampoo is designed to clean. Rub the shampoo into your scalp in circular motions, making sure to cover all areas of your scalp.
- Rinse thoroughly. Rinsing your hair thoroughly is important to remove all the shampoo and dirt from your hair. If you do not rinse your hair properly, it can lead to build-up, making your hair dull and lifeless. Make sure to rinse your hair for a full minute, making sure that all the shampoo has been removed.
- Apply conditioner. Once you have rinsed your hair, it is time to apply conditioner. Conditioner is designed to hydrate and protect your hair, making it easier to comb and style. Start by applying the conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair, avoiding the scalp as it can cause build-up. Leave the conditioner in for 2-3 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
- Final rinse with cold water. The final step in washing your hair is to rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Cold water helps to close the cuticles, leaving your hair smooth and shiny. Make sure to rinse your hair thoroughly, making sure that all the conditioner has been removed.
Ways You’re Doing It Wrong
Ways You’re Doing It Wrong:
- Not using the right shampoo. One of the most common mistakes people make when washing their hair is not using the right shampoo. Different hair types require different shampoos, and using the wrong one can cause damage and dryness to your hair. Make sure to choose a shampoo that is designed for your hair type, whether it be fine, curly, or colored.
- Over-shampooing. While it may seem like the more you shampoo, the cleaner your hair will be, this is not the case. Over-shampooing your hair can strip it of its natural oils, causing dryness and breakage. Aim to shampoo your hair no more than twice a week, and use a gentle shampoo that is free from harsh chemicals.
- Not rinsing thoroughly. As mentioned earlier, rinsing your hair thoroughly is crucial for removing all the shampoo and dirt from your hair. If you do not rinse your hair thoroughly, it can lead to build-up, making your hair dull and lifeless. Make sure to rinse your hair for a full minute, making sure that all the shampoo has been removed.
- Using hot water. Hot water can strip your hair of its natural oils, making it dry and brittle. To avoid this, make sure to use lukewarm water when washing your hair. Cold water is also beneficial for closing the cuticles, leaving your hair smooth and shiny.