Sealing the wefts on hair extensions is a crucial step in the process of applying them to your own hair. Not only does it help to keep the extensions in place, but it also helps to prevent shedding and prolong the lifespan of the extensions. In this article, we will outline the various methods for sealing the wefts on hair extensions and provide tips for achieving the best results.
Before we delve into the specifics of sealing the wefts, it is important to understand what wefts are and how they are used in hair extensions. Wefts are essentially strips of hair that are attached to a base, such as a cap or a track. They are used to add length, volume, or both to natural hair. Wefts are typically sewn onto a hair extension track, which can then be attached to the natural hair using various methods, such as clips, tape, or glue.
Sealing The Knots
There are several methods for sealing the wefts on hair extensions, and the best method for you will depend on the type of extensions you are using and your personal preferences. Some common methods include:
- Sealing with a weft sealer: Weft sealer is a product specifically designed to seal the wefts on hair extensions. It is typically applied to the base of the wefts and allowed to dry before the extensions are applied. Weft sealer is easy to use and provides a strong hold, but it can be messy and may not be suitable for all types of extensions.
- Sealing with hair glue: Hair glue is another option for sealing the wefts on hair extensions. It is applied to the base of the wefts and allowed to dry before the extensions are applied. Hair glue is strong and provides a secure hold, but it can be difficult to remove and may damage the extensions or natural hair if not used carefully.
- Sealing with heat: Some people prefer to seal the wefts on their hair extensions using heat. This can be done with a flat iron or other heating tool. The wefts are passed over the heated tool, which melts the base of the wefts and seals them in place. Heat sealing is fast and effective, but it requires careful handling to avoid damaging the extensions or natural hair.
Sealing The Knots
Regardless of the method you choose, there are a few steps you should follow to ensure the best results when sealing the wefts on your hair extensions:
- Prepare your hair: Before you begin, make sure your hair is clean and dry. If you have just washed your hair, allow it to dry completely before applying the extensions. If you are using a heat sealing method, make sure your hair is dry and free of any products that may melt or burn when exposed to heat.
- Divide your hair: It is easier to apply the extensions if you divide your hair into sections. Use clips or ponytail holders to hold the sections in place while you work.
- Apply the extensions: Follow the instructions provided with your extensions to attach them to your natural hair. If you are using a weft sealer or hair glue, apply a thin layer to the base of the wefts and allow it to dry before attaching the extensions. If you are using a heat sealing method, pass the wefts over the heated tool, making sure to hold them securely to avoid any accidents.
- Style the extensions: Once the extensions are in place, style your hair as desired. If you are using a weft sealer or hair glue, be careful not to apply too much heat or product, as this may cause the seal to break.
- Maintain the extensions: To keep your hair extensions looking their best, it is important to maintain them regularly.